Saturday, August 09, 2008

WHAT'S THE POINT IN IT ALL?


Questions keep bouncing through my over-active brain...I thought I'd pose them here.

IS IMMITATION THE GREATEST FORM OF FLATTERY?

This week has been about three things here at SYBD HQ...

1) It's been about really looking into the STATS of SYBD and its competitors. (I'll get back to this in a moment)

2) Going through footage of the SYBD Documentary (and doing some filming of yours truly)

3) Dumping stuff to de-clutter my homestead.

So let's talk about each individually. First of all - I've not only been really delving into Google Analytics to distil patterns and information from our stats but I've been researching other communities and "wanna be" dumped sites.

There is one such dumped site that's getting my goat a little. It's ripped us off in name and in nature.

It launched three years after we did as well. I guess the web's low barriers to entry make it a place that is RIFE for copycats. Thankfully the feedback on my main competitor hasn't been too favourable. I choose not to judge it myself - because it will merely look like "sour grapes" if I say anything...and besides I don't waste time studying my competitors too much it ends up taking my eye off the ball.

I won't bother giving that site any airtime here on my blog - because it's pointless - why would I want to promote said competitor?

But this whole thing has been good as it's led me to ask the question:

"WHAT CONSTITUTES A VALUABLE WEBSITE / COMMUNITY?"

These days, it's pointless just going on "hits/page views/time on site" etc, or is it? What other metrics can we use to gauge its success?

So You've Been Dumped
visitors are by and large VERY LOYAL visitors.

They not only return once their "over it" (to "give back" to others in their time of need), but they also return if they go through second, third (or even more) break up/s.

They recommend the site to their friends.

They blog about it.

Some have even come forward to be in a FILM about it.

So I do reckon the site is a success in many ways.

I took a webseminar on The Tribilzation of Business Study this week which was fantastic and provided much food for thought.

It urges to not view how valuable the "community" is to the site, but rather to its members.

Well we are surveying 10% of the members next month, and I am sure we'll hear direct from the "horse's mouth" what is working and what are areas for improvement. I welcome the feedback.

All this is in aid of taking SYBD to new heights for 2009. It's an incredibly exciting time...Watch this space!

Which leads me on to TOPIC 2. The FILM. I've been asking a lot what my point is in doing this film? It's not just to promote the website though I am sure that's a likely result of doing it. My sole aim is to INSPIRE people and in a way to de-stigmatise "break ups" too. Because it's so personal to me - I find it challenging to see the wood for the trees. I've no idea who will end up in the film - how many of the dozen or so interviews will make the final cut - but like everyone else around here - I am most excited TO see it. Honestly I can't wait.

It felt good, no great, to do some filming this week...of me this time, here on the Clyde River in Glasgow. It was sort of a dress rehearsal to see how it might work but some of the footage could invariably end up in the final cut, who knows?

In any event - I am anxiously awaiting some feedback from my lovely Exec Producer who is currently on a flight to New York City. With a bit of luck he's watching the footage as I type these words. I just hope he loves what I've sent down. By the time he returns - he'll have new footage to spool through. This time of me!

DUMP IT!

Finally the DUMP 100 project. The third thing on my list above.

Yesterday, I was able to take away a pile of thirty things to a Prince and Princess of Wales Hospice in Cardonald. It was amazing how much "lighter" I felt when I did too. So much so - I am gonna scour the flat today to find another thirty things to get rid of (or more) for week two of my challenge.

Honestly, as I look around this room - I see thousands of CDs, DVDs books and gadgets that is merely just taking up space in this place. I am a notorious pack rat who's trying to change her spots. Yes, I'm mixing metaphors, I know, but it's time I lived my life with the "less is more" motto. What's that they say - "we only use, wear, listen to, watch 20% of our things"? Something like that.

I have far too many attachments to inanimate things. Parting with CDs may be about the hardest thing for me to but I never play CDs anymore with 20,000 songs on itunes (or more) why would I ever walk over to the wall, pull down a CD and play it? Well, ok the urge sometimes does hit me and not all CDs are on iTunes yet but it's going to be a bitch trying to assess what is and what isn't out of three thousand (or whatever) CDs on the wall here. I need an assistant for that project. Anyone game?

I really just keep asking WHAT IS THE POINT?

To my site, my film, my clutter, my relationships, to everything.

This room is chaos and it's time I addressed it. Right after I make myself a sandwich. I have some food left over from last night's impromtu BBQ. I am starved just thinking about it! Glad we did it then as it's been pissing all day today and is meant to all weekend. I am sat here in a huge GAP sweatshirt, sweat pants and fuzzy socks...is this really August?

Stumble Upon Toolbar