Sunday, June 15, 2008

PAPA'S DAY UPDATE

SUNKISSED IN THE SUNNY STATE

Well it's been quite a time in America. What's it been? Five weeks or something? The days are flying by and soon I return to my Glasgow life.

LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

Filming is now complete...and I return to Scotland with oh-so-many hours of footage to spool through - hoping a movie will be revealed somewhere in there. Yep, I know I've done this whole film project ass-backwards, but who cares? It's MY journey to take and I know more than a few people are scratching their head wondering about me and my methods and that's their prerogative. Hell, I've never been one to take the easy route - EVER. In fact, I often joke my autobiography will be called The Path of Most Resistance because literally life is one long challenge - but hey I am still standing, still breathing, still growing, still learning - so it's all good.

And hey, this film is ever-closer to being completed so that's a big two fingers up at the nay-sayers eh? (check me - getting all defiant; LOL)



WOULD YOU FILM YOUR EX?

Speaking of films - I am thoroughly hoping to see A COMPLETE HISTORY OF MY SEXUAL FAILURES - this weekend at one of its premieres in Edinburgh's Film Festival. Never before has there been such an SYBD style documentary. I've attempted to contact the film maker Chris Waitt but either he's busy, thought my message was spam or he's totally blowing me off. In any event it doesn't matter too much. Will post an update about it if I go...the only thing stopping me is I'll no doubt be lagged after the Trans-Atlantic flight...I love the concept but I'd not want to go around interviewing my exes to ask them what's wrong with me. Though I am sure it would be illuminating, and helpful, I have to say, ignorance is bliss...

TRAVELS IN MY HOMELAND

I've RECENTLY returned (to dad's) from a few days in Southern California with a most wonderful person, Eva. Man did we have so many laughs. We'd never met before and suddenly I was descending on her for four days and did she ever go above and beyond the call of duty for hostessing. I arrived to her air-conditioned homestead and there were Godiva chocolates on the bed! Bedroom en-suite. Pool near by. It was luxury living to be sure. Wow did we see a lot of ground...Palm Springs, The Joshua Tree (National Park), La Jolla, San Diego and Coronado Island. We ate great food, and did I mention we laughed a lot?

There literally was not one moment I wished I were somewhere else. That's some feat - to simply enjoy someone's company that much...But boy was I tired when I got home. I've just been flitting all over the place I think it's finally caught up with me.

Back at Chez Newcomb - it was time to deal with bank cards (replaced) and new driver's licenses (renewed: damn another bad photo), and various trips to the library...

The final admin of the journey as it were. C'est fini!

Actually, I've spent quite a few hours at Sunnyvale library - air conditioned and free wi/fi - why not? Reading books on Zen (for the Spirit) and building brands (for the business). As I've alluded a bit to of late, the site is going to be transformed this year. I am not entirely what it will be morphed into, but hopefully something that is bigger, better, and an even better resource.

I have to be honest with you, for the past several years, my heart hasn't been in it. I've done little to the site - I've let it tick over on its own and yes, I've neglected my baby but that's all gonna change from now on...This break has proven beneficial to me - because it gave me the much-needed space from heartbreak and misery to get some emotional distance and detachment. That can only be a healthy thing in the long run. Inevitably I've stopped relating to - and identifying with - my target audience - which I think is actually a good thing in a personal sense but less good in the business sense.

The time has come to take on a different role in camp Dumped. Watch this space.

It has been wonderful the past few years meeting so many site members from around the world. These people have become my family in many ways. I share in their ups and downs - trials and tribulations. I get excited and proud when I hear about their budding romances, school & career achievements, and feel a part of their journey. I guess sometimes I don't realise how unique this is - because it just feels so 'normal' to me. I don't give it much consideration until someone goes, "Wow that's so cool you're traveling all over the place meeting these people and hearing their stories" and it is. Very cool.

Even since I got to NYC - one woman I interviewed has met a new man, another site member got a new job, and still another site member (I met on the 2006 road trip) told me she just bought a great house in the hills of Austin, TX.

I've written a bit of stuff on my MySpace blog but for some reason it's not letting me view it. So I can't poach some of what I rambled about for today's blog.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

So I know some of you who scan my blog are, in fact, fathers out there - so I sure hope you have (had) a Happy Father's Day today.

I spent the day with my dad. A little trip to the Flea Market and then some shopping and food. Now bless him, he's having a wee nap. I think I might just follow suit. After all, what are Sunday afternoons for? Pool side, here I come.

Stumble Upon Toolbar