Friday, February 01, 2008

GET AWAY FEBRUARY

I can't believe it's February already. How did that happen? As I type I am listening to JENNIFER TRYNIN's "Get Away, February". My busiest period on SYBD (historically) runs from THANKSGIVING (American) to VALENTINE'S DAY or as I like to call it ST. SINGLETON'S DAY. It's all those holidays in there - so stressful. So at least things will probably taper off a bit. It's a mixed blessing be ranked in the top half million of all sites in the world (according to Alexa). Good in terms of SYBD exposure but less great due to how much heartbreak there is in the world. Seems in every second - someone, somewhere is being "let go" as it were.

ANOTHER WEEK & MONTH HAS COME AND GONE

It's Friday and the week has been a weird one for me - for a multitude of reasons. But with the new month comes some renewed optimism and positivity. I've been spending ALL of my time - writing or rather researching for another little book. Taking the most constructive quotes from every book around me!

TWO FROM THE SELECTION:

"Some women enjoy the role of victim and martyr. It can be difficult to persuade these women to change because if they do, they will have to grow up and take responsibility for their actions. It's easier for them to blame all their troubles on other people and events." - Judy Ashberg

"Sometimes the people we love do not love us back in the same way. They do not want or need the love we are offering them. This is one of life's most painful lessons." - Judy Ashberg

WHAT WEATHER!

When not researching/writing - I've been staring out the window watching the wintry weather. I enjoyed yesterday's snow and rain immensely - if only we'd get some big old snow that would actually lie. It's been years since we were snowed in. I remember this particular Saturday morning when the boss called and woke me up at 4 or 5am to say "you need to go open up and do the breakfast show". Woolfy couldn't get in (nor anyone else - so I was last resort)...but what a brilliant time I had...sledging through the snow and doing his show...with him on the phones helping with travel updates etc. What a hoot!

YOU'VE GOT MAIL!

Well Mike has just messaged me to let me know I've got mail from a certain London-based organisation...who shall remain nameless until all is signed on a certain dotted line. Suffice it to say - with the new month and new optimism I shall have a new agent by the close of play today...(all being well). I really ought to learn my lesson and not say anything until I sign actual deals...but hey ho...I can't help it. I am excited...so I blurt!*

THE SYBD FILM

On that note, it's been a long while since I've said much about the film, hasn't it? Well it's still been simmering away on the back burner. I've had two dozen, or so, people come forward from all over the world agreeing to be filmed...and this weekend I am out with the camera to film a lovely Scottish lass who is what I'd call "screen gold". But between you and me, because I've not been filming since the Road Trip across the US - I feel outa practice. My friend Paul in Canada, who I met at BritDoc, says it will come back to me once I start doing it and I hope he's right. I am excited to be pushing the project further along.

As many will have known, I did have a "deal"* with a "major player" on the table and after much deliberation (and legal advice) was encouraged to not sign on that particular dotted line...

I'll be honest with you, I was quite down about it, but with the New Year, it too, brought renewed enthusiasm and I believe in what I am doing and that the right people will materialise to help make it...and star in it too!

What was originally a setback turned out to be a blessing as so often these things do...

So I may not be done filming by June 1 (as predicted or hoped) but I am gonna keep on keeping on...and we'll just see where the road takes us.

Life's the ultimate adventure....


FINANCIAL NEWS:

I just thought I'd leave y'all with some financial news for those of you who are concerned with the global market this one is for you....

Following the problems in the sub-prime lending market in America and the run on Northern Rock in the UK, uncertainty has now hit Japan.

In the last 7 days Origami Bank has folded, Sumo Bank has gone belly up and Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches. Yesterday, it was announced that Karaoke Bank is up for sale and will likely go for a song while today shares in Kamikaze Bank were suspended after they crashed-and-burned.

Samurai Bank are soldiering on following sharp cutbacks, Ninja Bank are reported to have taken a hit, but they remain in the black. 500 staff at Karate Bank got the chop and analysts report that there is something fishy going on at Sushi Bank where it is feared that staff may get a raw deal.

---- isn't that precious. Thanks to HUSKY@SYBD. Brill!

ON THAT NOTE...

Off to Byres Road...I've a contract to sign and some research to do! Peace out.

Stumble Upon Toolbar