Thursday, December 13, 2007

P.S. I LOVE YOU

This morning I was up at the crack of dawn. It's unlike me to be up early but for some reason I seem to be in a routine of going to bed super early (by my standards) and getting up early. It's most odd. Anyway it was handy to be up early because I had a press show this morning for the new HILARY SWANK / GERARD BUTLER film - PS I LOVE YOU.

This is generally my type of film, and I can't say I wasn't moved to tears on several occasions, but it's just not realistic love story. It featured a kind of love that can only be found in the movies.

Holly (played by Swank) has been married to Gerry (played funnily enough by Gerard) for nine years, and they in live in a small NYC apartment. Cut to Gerry's wake and it's time for Holly to mourn the loss of her husband. Knowing his days were numbered, Gerry had time to leave letters and presents for her which are delivered over the coming year. This is what I mean by a love reserved for cinema. What guy would actually do that for his girl? Would you? I'd doubt it. Not only have I never seen a love like this in real life - I can't imagine any guy loving ME that much. (Chance would be a fine thing).

If you can get past the piss-poor, fake accents, it was a semi-sweet bit of celluloid. But Americans are idiots (I can say that because I am one...(cue Green Day)) - but why on earth did they have have Gerard Butler do a rubbish Irish accent when they could have simply had him keep his own gorgeous Glasgow accent? I think he'd have done a much better job if he didn't have to try to act and do a fake accent. Don't get me wrong I like ole Gerry (and in my opinion he's the hottest guy ever born in Glasgow!!), but each time he spoke, it was cringe-worthy. Bless his cotton socks.

And geez, don't get me started on JEFFEREY DEAN MORGAN'S Irish accent. Sheesh. Another hot guy (last seen dying on GREY'S ANATOMY) who did an equally silly job with his Irish accent.

Suffice it to say, I am not sure whether I loved it or loathed it - which doesn't often happen to me when I see a film but there you go! If you're not a stickler about accents - you might really like this drama - but accents are something I get a little pedantic about, call me quirky.

It was a good soundtrack and boasted a good cast. In addition to Swank and Butler - you'll find KATHY BATES as Swank's pub-running mother, HARRY CONNICK JUNIOR (who works in the pub) AND and LISA KUDROW as one of Swank's desperate best friends.

Jury's still out on this one folks. See for yourself if you wanna risk it! But be sure and bring tissue if you do. It's a real tear-jerker.

TAO TE CHING

Inspired by a DR. WAYNE DYER PBS series I saw whilst home, I've decided to attempt to read the TAO TE CHING. I'm not bragging or anything - to be honest I am having trouble understanding it but at least I am attempting to glean some enlightenment. Points for effort here.

Some passages that stand out for me are:

HARMONY

Embracing the Way, you become embraced;
Breathing gently, you become newborn;
Clearing your mind, you become clear;
Nurturing your children, you become impartial;
Opening your heart, you become accepted;
Accepting the world, you embrace the Way.


Bearing and nurturing,
Creating but not owning,
Giving without demanding,
This is harmony.


SUBSTANCE


Too much colour blinds the eye,
Too much music deafens the ear,
Too much taste dulls the palate,
Too much play maddens the mind,
Too much desire tears the heart.


I get it and yet I don't...

I'll keep working at it. I did invest in the meditations CD by DR WAYNE DYER (who did the PBS special) - CHANGE YOUR THOUGHTS CHANGE YOUR LIFE that inspired this little, recent Eastern Philosophy interest of mine...and all being well the CD will come tomorrow or so. I've been attempting to meditate daily but so far it's proving challenging. Switching off my mind has always been rather challenging for me. Wish I paid closer attention when my mother was trying to teach me to mediate while growing up.

LONDON CALLING

Well I am gearing up for more time in London and yet more meetings about a variety of projects. I've got fun stuff lined up every day that I am down - and am happily mixing business with pleasure!

I've nearly finished the smaller book of break up lines and stories. The illustration my long-time-friend DAVE did are just priceless. I like how all of his characters (well the guys anyway) actually look like Dave. I wonder if that's deliberate. He's always been one of the funniest, hottest, most-talented guys I've ever known - even back in junior high school. Hopefully the book will be a huge success - for both our sakes. You'll buy a copy won't you? All three of you? Cheers.

POLL POSITION

You have 18 days left to answer my poll question to the right of this blog...I'd love to release the results as a press release but I need a few more (hundred) replies I reckon for it to hold any weight...These days every tom-dick-and-harry website does polls. I was on Fred Mac's show on BBC SCOTLAND two days ago - talking about a poll on which nationality makes the best lovers. (Yeah I don't know why they asked me either)...I do have five nationalities under my belt, so to speak, but I am not sure I've slept with enough guys to make such generalisations. Still it was a right laugh - as Fred's show usually is - particularly with Big Brother's FEDERICO along side me.

Well that's about all I can report on....

Stumble Upon Toolbar