Friday, June 29, 2007

Last Night I Dreamed That Somebody Loved Me...


THE POPE OF MOPE


I can't help it, I can't. Sometimes we just need to put on THE SMITHS and work our angst out. Sometimes playing them can even make you feel better. Honestly. Try it. I stumbled across a SMITHS page in an email from THE TRASHCAN SINATRA'S maililng list. Speaking of the Trashies, I am quite sure I saw their handsome front man, Frank Reader, (brother of Eddi) at DEVO the other night, what a cutie! Oh, I digress. My bad.

SINGLE LIVING

My lovely (and rather gorgeous) friend MIKE HALSON and I often swap info on living the single life. On good days, I freelance for him and his SINGLE LIVING website...and today, as luck would have it, was one such day.

So in particular, I've been looking for information on travelling solo and damn has it got me thinking aboud taking off again...Itchy feet syndrome. Here are a few relevant links...

TOP DESTINATIONS FOR SOLO TRAVELLERS?


According to SmartTraveller.com, the UK ranks as one of the "top five destinations for solo travellers". NEW ZEALAND and AUSTRALIA are also on the list. So if you have itchy feet, check out the list here. Don't let the fact that you'd have to go alone stop you! The world is your oyster! Trying to talk Mike into packing in his job and travel the world with me, but he's having none of it ;)

TRAVEL TIPS FOR SINGLE PARENTS WITH TODDLERS

Times Online family travel expert, Jane Owen, finds there's an advantage to going solo with a toddler and offers tips for other single parents in the same boat. I know this applies to quite a number of SYBD women right now, so check this article out for some ideas of how to make it work for you.

MORE AND MORE WOMEN ARE TRAVELLING THE WORLD

Have you been bitten by the travel bug? Are you looking for inspiration of where you my jet off too? Check out this article on insidebayarea.com for "Travelling Women on the Go". In it you'll find book recommendations to get you started.

SPEAKING OF BEING ON THE MOVE…

Travelling is a big thing for SYBD site members - young and old, male and female. To heal from their splits, many have set off for short and long breaks. I know of several members who have even travelled the whole world.

Some have even met their new partners on route (one, Pickle met, married and recently had a baby with hers!)

So we never know what a trip may lead to...

Also earlier, I came across a post from DRAMUSE who is off to play a concert in Portugal in September. His musical career seems to truly be taking off since his split occurred some time ago. In fact, I am in two minds to fly out and see him in all his Lisbon glory! I am so proud of him and love reading updates like that in the GOOD NEWS forum. Makes my job worthwhile!

SYBD HAS A FUN ZONE

It's not all doom and gloom here on SYBD. There are actually some really funny posts / threads in the LIGHT ZONE section of the site. Here are a few examples on a new thread in there. (To join SYBD's forum is free, and if you wish to be anonymous - be sure to get a free email address from us here)

ITJANEY's JOKE:

A bra and a pair of jump leads walk into a bar...

The bra orders a drink, but the barman says, "I'm not serving you two!"

"Why not?" asks the bra incredulously

"Because," he replies, "you're off your t*ts, and he looks like he's about to start something!"



MERCEDES CHIMES IN ON A SIMILAR VEIN:

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Two antennas meet on a roof, fall in love and get married. The ceremony wasn't much, but the reception was excellent.


SYBD'S BIRTHDAY (AND MINE TOO!)

Well on the 4th of July SYBD turns seven years old. My baby is growing up. It just seems like yesterday when I was dumped from a great height and inspired to launch this site with a Field of Dreams mentality. I did build it and they did come...in thousands. More than twenty thousand visits to SYBD (and over 1.2 million hits this month alone). The site was a success from that first month in terms of visitors and hopefully in terms of support too. It truly is my greatest achievement and yet also my biggest curse.

A week after SYBD turns seven, I turn forty. Age is just a number, apart from being ridiculously forgetful and scatty of late - I certainly don't feel a day older than thirty-two!

The Five-Star hotel is booked. The venue is chosen. The guestlist is growing. The playlist is coming together. It's all very exciting. I even dyed my hair for the ocassion...Now I just need to find something to wear....Ironically I was thinking of just wearing a SMITHS t-shirt and a black mini-skirt. Somehow seems fitting...

All this is to say, “I’m not happy and I’m not sad”.

Stumble Upon Toolbar