Thursday, April 05, 2007

Mix Tapes and More....

Well I've been just checking my MySpace mail when I noticed a link for a chance to make a million dollar budgeted film…and so I thought I'd stumble through the entries to see who was submitting stuff and I saw one that looked promising – it's called Mix CD (us older generation types call them "Mixed Tapes" - even though they're on CDs or minidiscs!)

The little film follows on nicely from my last blog entry about the book LOVE IS A MIX TAPE – which I am still reading and enjoying. It's gotten to the sad part though at a time I am actively seeking happier material (movies, books, music et al)...Maybe because spring has arrived in all its glory but I am just tired of depressing movies, songs, and break-up stories (that last one's a bit of a shame considering I run a website for the romantically challenged).

Anyway, I like Dan's little movie because 1) it was nicely shot 2) it was quirky 3) the music was good 4) the wee scot's guy, Alasdair, in it was really cute (always a bonus) 5) I am, as anyone who knows me knows, a fan of making compilations. In fact I love it so much it would be my dream job…if only I could get paid for it. Hmmm, I guess that's why I became a radio presenter…so I could play my own version of "mix tapes for the masses"…only radio is so formulaic these days, it doesn't leave much room for creativity. Man, I miss my shows on Q96. RIP Q96.

The one, tiny, thing that bothers me about Dan's flick is – I've never found a guy who has tried to woo me with mixed tapes. Sigh. I must be looking in the wrong place or something...It's always me that makes the compilations for the guys. Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all these decades,…? Ho hum…

As I said previously, I made a trailer for So You've Been Dumped the movie, but I only let a small handful of friends see it. I am a total novice and it's utterly rudimentary, but I was still proud of myself, and I did get some nice comments. Most importantly from my producer Stef…

"I love much of this! Soundtrack is genius! Need to make it more succinct and more sound-bitey."

He's of course right, but I think he thought I was trying to make the ACTUAL trailer for the film – which I wasn't. 'Only practicing with my footage so I can better direct a "real editor" once we find that person! I would rather assume the person who edits the film will easily knock up the trailer...but I could be wrong...as I say, it's all new to me!

I've just seen the new Fratelli's video - "Whistle for the Choir" - which was shot in Glasgow. For some reason it actually brought a tear to my eye (but then I am a tad emotional this weather). Was glad they kept to their roots for that one. I hope it's a great hit for Jon (pictured with me here) and the boyz. Go Fratellis!

Jo has been helping me with the radio version of the documentary and has come up with some fab ideas which I will spend the afternoon implementing. It's good to have so many creative, supportive friends in my life, she says, adopting her attitude of gratitude…

So I guess I have some editing to do today. I've someone coming over to dinner who's not been here in like a year (or maybe it just seems that way) so I've been tidying up a storm for days now! There are still CDs strewn in every eyeshot around the room. I wish I had a spare room just for my CDs…Next year...After my film wins the awards at Sundance, Raindance, Venice, Cannes and the Oscar too.

Well a girl can dream, can't she…?

I am indeed one life's dreamers...

Stumble Upon Toolbar