Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Fog on the Tyne


LIFE IN A NORTHERN TOWN

Well I am back from a weekend break to NEWCASTLE (Yes, Upon Tyne). I went down to meet a nice young SYBD lass with a story which paralleled my own (except she wasn't dumped for some random work colleague)...Rather she was dumped by a guy who panicked just two or three months after being a semi-detached house.

I thoroughly enjoy meeting SYBD site members. No matter where I am in the world - the stories are all so very similar so very universal. Whether the person is gay or straight, young or old, skint or loaded, male or female, it really all boils down to the same emotions - rejections, confusions, and challenges to turn all that pain into some sort of gain.

In Newcastle, my hostess and I met up with another SYBD lady who's in her early fifties and we all had some food together at the Gate in town. The food was great, the music was as if I'd made the compilation myself and the staff so friendly that I tipped extra! I truly had a smashing night...

Well, apart from having a random stomach attack on the Metro back...and so I jumped out at a Tesco, was barreling through the carpark at full speed when I went diving forward onto the pavement as if it were a pool. Whoopsydaisey.

People will no doubt have thought I was steamin' but I wasn't. I got up, put my shoes back on (damn those slip-ons, they slipped off) and ran some more. That would have made it on "funniest home videos" if anyone had a camera! I was in too much pain to bother being embarassed...

THE SEASIDE

Sunday we took the Metro to the coast and walked from TYNEMOUTH (to a great little market there - antiques mostly) to WHITLEY BAY, and then went back into town to eat at a cute little Italian place in the heart of the northern city. After that, we walked down to the river and along the Tyne.

Newcastle reminded me a lot of Glasgow only with worse fashion sense. It really was comedic to be out on the town on a Saturday night.

SYBD CHATS TO BECOME CD?

Back to reality, and today I've been editing an interview with a site member in Boston. A lovely, gay, 26-year old software engineer. I haven't decided what to do with these interviews...They're all under 10 minutes. I'd like to make them into a one-hour show or something. I think they'll help a lot of people - just by hearing their stories, their emotions, and about their subsequent growth. Perhaps on a CD that people can buy.

THE SYBD FILM PROGRESS

I have been editing "rough cuts" of the interviews into one rough movie. I am wondering if I will need to do some more filming to reach my ninety minute target. I won't know until I manage to get my interviews in place to see how long they all are.

Meanwhile producer boy, Stef, is off sunning himself in Europe this week whilst I slave away over various interviews - wondering how to put these pieces of the puzzle together. I can only hope that whilst he's sunning himself pool side, that he's working on the film's story board too.

At this rate, it will be 2010 before the film comes out...and frankly I want to be done with the site by then. I think running a break-up site for 10 years is more than enough heartbreak that anyone can endure or should be expected too. Maybe then I'll launch a site called soyoufellinlove.com - for people's love stories. Would be a whole lot more cheery that's for sure.

BABIES EVERYWHERE!

And one of my site members - "Louise" had her baby last week. And so did a previous site member Pickle. It's exciting seeing SYBD offspring being born...I am still waiting for an SYBD union to result in a wedding. Then, I will feel my job has done. Instead of dealing with breaking-up, I'll be responsbile for bringing together. Miss Cupid if you will.

I like the sound of that. I think I'll call it a night. I don't know why I am tired, I mean I slept like 11 hours last night. Was exhausted - no doubt from all that walking!

I wonder which site member I will meet next?

It's always a pleasure, never a chore.

Stumble Upon Toolbar