Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter Monday

Working on the radio documentary today. It’s like a little puzzle you have to put together. One that is only 26-minutes long. I’ve started with my “conclusion” and now I’m working my way backwards…

As we’re near the end of the holiday weekend, I can do the same for the blog. Tonight a group of us may be seeing SUNSHINE the new Danny Boyle movie. To be honest, I doubt I’ll dig it, but any chance to get out of the house, I take it these days.

“If you’re askin’, I’m goin’!”

This morning, I finished the Lance Armstrong book “Every Second Counts” which was another inspirational read (though I think I liked “It’s Not About the Bike” better…

Last night (or in the small hours of this morning) I finished Rob Sheffield’s book “Love is a Mix Tape”. That was a sweet read. I think most people would generally "get it", but people who love music as much as I do, who collect it, who cherish it, and who make compilation tapes for other people to share it, would get it on a much deeper level.

I cooked us a nice Easter dinner last night and we watched several films (Mystic River, Grosse Point Blank - thanks Andy - and to cap off the night I watched Brewster's Millions to end the day on a happier note).

T’was nice to have company on the holiday and I like to cook for people. It’s so boring cooking for just me, so any chance I can cook for someone else, I welcome it. Hungry? Come on over...

Ross has now wired up my handheld PDA to play my fave music stations in America – over my wi/fi network. What that means is I can play KFOG or KISQ even when both of my computers are switched off. So the other night, while in the bath tub, I was listening to LOVELINE with Dr. Drew. On this episode I was checking out, was Joshua Jackson from ‘Dawson’s Creek’. (It was obviously a repeat because that show hasn’t been on for years.) but it was cool to play this syndicated American radio show whilst soaking in a candle lit bath in Glasgow. Gosh I do love technology. I think I’ve probably said that before.

Ross also helped me get SKYPE on my PDA. Again so I can talk to people wherever I am (as long as it’s wi/fi friendly). So, yes, even in the bath I can talk to my family and friends around the world on SKYPE – for FREE. And if you’re one of my lovely friends and reading this, please get SKYPE so we can talk. I only wished I’d loaded SKYPE on the MAC before I drove across America – it literally would have saved me hundreds of dollars in phone bills. D’oh. Hindsight’s 20/20 eh?

Saturday Jenn came around and took me to Rouken Glen for an early birthday present. I am now the proud owner of a garden in my kitchen. Really. I have basil, mint, tomato plants (2), money plants and some bamboo-esque plant too. The ones she bought me were the tomato plants and the mint one. I had the other ones…but she’s teaching me to have a green thumb and I dream of the day of having my own lovely cottage and garden. Next year, for sure! Once So You’ve Been Dumped has been nominated for the BAFTA.

Aren’t holidays a bit challenging at times? Even Easter. I’ve been reflecting on the people who’ve made a sharp exit from my life for one reason or another and I am missing one or two of them quite bad. One lives across the pond and it’s one of my greatest hopes that we will become friends once more and one is closer to home here but who may as well be a continent away for all he speaks to me (or replies to my emails). Doesn’t it suck to miss someone? Whether it’s a parent (or sibling) who’s died, a friend who’s left our lives, or a lover who chooses to love another one. Letting go is the hardest thing in the world for me to do. Some people are just so bloody good at it, but I’m not one of them. Ironically I miss the friend who’s across the pond more than my two long term relationships. Them, I don’t miss. Funny that.

Last week, I sent off fifty pages of one of my books to my publisher friend in London. I am still waiting to hear back from him and hope that he sees merit in the inspirational words of my many site members. Like with all of my projects, I am so close to the forest I can’t make out the trees. It’s so hard for me to be objective about it because it’s mine. Some days I look at the project (e.g. video, radio, book) and think “wow this is great” and then others, in moments of a confidence crisis, I think, “This is crap, who am I kidding?” So it really does help to get outside opinions from the wonderful, successful, creative people around me to tell me what’s good and what’s less than good.

Enjoyed a nice Saturday night out with brand new people. We were in the west end – in places like the LOFT and ORAN MOR. It’s so good to make new friends. That has been a top priority this year so far. I have met all kinds of unique, wonderful interesting people. Shows what I can achieve when I put my mind to it.

Now speaking of which, I need to get to some editing. I have a meeting tonight with Jo about the radio documentary. We’re gonna put this puzzle together once and for all. I think I will also make several different mini-interviews available on the site and on my MySpace page to offer hope to people going through a break-up now. I’ll keep you posted.

Watch this space. Happy Easter Monday.

Stumble Upon Toolbar